Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Process

(My Helmet History)

     I'm back!  After a couple of weeks of clearing my mind, finally settling into my St Louis apartment, and building some washer boards (still not done) in my spare time... I am returning to my blog.  It has been a crazy couple of weeks and we have finished the first quarter of the season.  As a member of the practice squad I did everything the team did as normal including lifting, meetings, and practice.  The only difference is that you run scout team and don't suit up or travel for games.  It was a role that took me back to my red-shirt days at Texas Tech where I ran scout team against Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree.  Except this time my job is not guaranteed.  I took this as an opportunity to get in the weight room more and give the best look I could for the upcoming opponent.  Well the first four games haven't gone as planned or expected for both the team and myself individually.  I can't speak for the team as I was on the practice squad, but for myself this struggle had brought me to focus on something we had learned in Rookie School.

     "The process of getting what you want" is what John Hartwig called it.  John and his company Pro/Spur is all about character building and he taught us this lesson at one of our Rookie School sessions that the Rams put on every Monday afternoon.  The lesson was simple, but exactly what I needed to focus on.  He got us to write out what our goals were, long and short term, in both football and life.  Then the steps that you can take and control in order to get you there.  One of my short term goals was to make the 53 man roster and the steps I could take to get me there.  For the first time after this lesson I was truly not thinking about roster moves and focused on working as hard as I could to improve myself and be intentional about taking steps to reach my goals.  I refused to get my hopes up anymore trying to guess what was going to happen, as I had been disappointed a lot so far.  Well it might have been a coincidence, but I finally got the opportunity I was looking for and was pulled out of meetings to get bumped up to active roster!  I was sent upstairs to sign my new contract and then told to go back to watching film...haha back to work.  We have a big game coming up this week because it is the next one.  The scrutiny and pressure to perform will always be there from the coaches on down.  But we must continue to stay together, focus on the process, and focus on things we can control in our plan to get back on track.  I look forward to my first NFL game and doing everything I can to help the team win!

-Student of the Game
#FirstNFLGame

10 comments :

Lynn Stasey said...

We are both happy and proud for you! We are looking forward to seeing you play. Go get them, Cody!

Garrett Petticrew said...

Outstanding Cody!

paul escalera said...

I was so pissed that the coaches cut you for an old player that was hurt the whole preseason(thats why we let good men go last year (amendola, DX) cause they are hurt so often they hurt the team! So lets cut the young bad ass and keep the old and broken! Makes no sense at all! On the other hand im sure this september made u a stronger person. Well if u want to hear god laugh tell him what u have planned for your life! This was meant to be! Here is ur chance! Ur closer to starting like I told you you would! Im glad ur on the 53.a little advise now im no nfl coach but ive been a fan all my life. Observing coach fisher he likes safety that hit hard so u might want to put on a few lbs of muscle and get up to something like 214-215lbs and by looking at ur highlight tape from college it looks like u make great defensive stops on players,then u walk away like nothing happened(I think thats why u didnt get drafted.)no celebration at all from u. Its like witnessed a murder and dont want no one knowing u saw it! Ha ha! U Have to celebrate a little when u make great stop.it helps phychs up the rest of the team to play good hard nosed football.and pumps up the fans too! If u ever want to go to the pro bowl u cant just put up great number.look at lauranaitis great middle linebacker he puts up way better #s then patrick willis and willis keeps going to the prowl bowl! He used to celebrate in 2010 he did the pose that usane bolt stole from him.when u see james tell him is fans miss him doing that celebration! When we start winning again dont forget a little celebration! We might have to fire the offensive co.he doesnt look like he can get the job done.and walton looks like he isn't an aggressive play caller (starting to miss blake williams right about now).so happy you and jo lonn are back! I was lobbying all last week to a bunch of blog sites that you and jo lonn are absolutely necessary for the rans to win!and here you both are back in action! Go get em baby!very happy for you bro!

Martin said...

I am happy for you Cody! Enjoy your first NFL game! Hope I can order a Nike jersey with your name on it soon. :)
#KeeptheFaith #GoRams

paul escalera said...

I hope you get to play against the jags.i want to see you get as many tackles as the linebackers do! I have a renued excitement about our D now that jo lonn and you are in there.now someone needs to tell walton to be more aggressive! But he is a rook D co-ordinator.im sure he is trying his best.i think he will be ok.but Im not sure about shotty. I dont think he is right for our team. We'll see.

paul escalera said...

I posted two separate comments why are none of them showing?

paul escalera said...

But that one does show.ha ha! Well good luck cody. Ur gonna get ur chance to start soon! Just like I said!

Cody Davis said...

They didn't show because one you put in a link accidentally and the other had curse words. Both of those situations get flagged for approval before they can be seen. Now you know!

BmoreRamsFan8 said...

You should pump you're brakes a little dude maybe a lot. I'm sure Cody appreciates the love but you're not his coach I bet he studies plenty of tape to know what he should and shouldn't do. We all make mistakes in life and when playing football but at least he can look back on tape and correct it and make himself a better football player. In life we can't change the past but we can proceed to make the future better for ourselves and I think Cody has a bright future in the NFL. Also I like Cody's style by not celebrating after a tackle I think it is great. A hard smash mouth tackle and then get up and walk away. I wish more players did that. Now that's true professionalism. When the game is over and the W is in the books then it's time to celebrate. 1 other thing I don't think you get into the pro bowl by celebrating after a play that just sounds like a bunch of non sense. How often does Peyton Manning celebrate? A fist pump here and there but rarely never and Manning is always in the pro bowl. Good luck and stay healthy Cody.

Aaron Riddle said...

It's awesome to have you back on the active roster!

Post a Comment