Monday, May 20, 2013

Looking for a New Church Home


     A church home will be important for me as I continue to try and become a better Christian.  People always say "you don't have to go to church to go to heaven, I just live right."  Well you don't have to know the playbook to be good in football either.  Hebrews 10:25 says, "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."  I will continue to make church a priority in life because the bible is my playbook and I want to be in a community of faith that sharpens each other and is the salt of the earth.  Abigail Van Buren once said, "A church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints."  I am not perfect and don't pretend to be. I still have a long way to go in my faith and church will better help me learn, worship, and serve.

     Now that I am in St Louis it is time to find a new church home.  I have been blessed to be apart of First Baptist Church in Lubbock, Texas for the last couple of years.  This is where I began my faith journey that was my own, which I explained in an earlier post.  I attended and became a member of this church for many reasons.  First and foremost it challenged me to become a better Christian.  From the engaged/married bible study to the service, the message was always to the point and backed up by scripture.  I really liked our pastor and also my friend Bobby Dagnel, who was always transparent on how he was, spoke his mind, and didn't sugarcoat anything.  It was a great community of faith that prided itself on serving the lord, always providing opportunities to get involved and stay connected.  I will look for these qualities in a new church home.

-Student of the Game
#ToGodBeTheGlory

9 comments :

Aaron Riddle said...

This is great! I'm really glad to hear that your a Christian and are willing to share your faith! There isn't enough of that these days. I hope you get to make the Rams and I will rooting and praying for you! I also really like that you go to a Baptist church and use the King James Version of the Bible. While there are churches that aren't Baptist that are still good churches, Baptist principles are Bible principles and I'm glad your a fellow Baptist! You also use the right version of the Bible! Continue to grow in the Lord and follow Him! God bless man!

Damian said...

Hey cody! My Church home isn't near you but! You can be an online member and still serve as an online member. All those qualities are exactly why I join my church 5 years ago. Visit WWW.THEMOUNDLEADS.ORG and view Bishop Kim Walter Brown on wednesdays @7 and sundays @8,10 and 12! He is very very transparent, backs his points with scripture and he really educates you on the bible and challenges you. You will love it. Please view us sometimes and let me know what you think. Be blessed!


P.S. HE IS VERY FUNNY AS WELL. LOL

Cody Davis said...

I'll have to check it out sometime! My church home back in Lubbock also is very connected with online videos of the service and social media which is great to get involved.

Cody Davis said...

Thanks! Like I said I'm not an expert at denominations and not set on a specific one. I am still learning and just know what I believe and the values I am looking for.

Cody Davis said...

I agree with you completely! Me and my wife actually tried out a church this weekend (I won't say the name) that I didn't like at all because the pastor taught his interpretation of what the bible said and made it into too much of a oversimplified kid version.

Aaron Riddle said...

Well as I said, follow God and the Bible and you won't go wrong(Make sure you pray too)! Best of luck to you man! I hope to see you on the field during a Ram's game this year!

Cody Davis said...

Thanks!

Michael Quesada said...

Hey Cody!
2 suggestions...
#1 Try Calvary Chapel. I know, I'm prejudiced, but we're all 'chapter by chapter, book by book'
#2 Aeneas Williams used to be a Ram corner and I understand he pastors around there. He sounds biblically strong. Blessings!

Cody Davis said...

I actually have gotten a suggestion for that one from someone else also, so I will have to check it out! Thanks!

Post a Comment